Clinics & Services
Our Nurse Practitioners are registered Nurses who have additional education and training in a speciality area such as minor illness. A Nurse practitioner can:
- Document health history and perform a physical examination
- Perform tests and procedures
- Answer questions about health problems
- Treat common childhood illnesses
- Assist with management of chronic disease
- Educate patients about self-care and healthy lifestyle choices
- Issue prescriptions
- Order medical / diagnostic tests
Nurse Practitioners maintain close working relationships with doctors and consult them as needed. Nurse Practitioners can treat acute (or short-term) illnesses such as upper respiratory infections, ear infections, rashes, and urinary tract infections. They can also assist with management of chronic illnesses such as asthma, allergies, diabetes, and many others.
The practice nurses undertake many clinical duties including
- Travel advice and vaccinations
- Chronic disease management - Asthma, Heart disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, COPD
- Child immunisations We recommend a full immunisation programme and development assessments as indicated for all pre-school children. Parents are sent an invitation for these by Child Health Services It is advisable if the child can be brought by one of the parents because of the legal aspects of consent. If someone other than the parent accompanies the child for immunisation, written consent by a parent is required. Always bring the child’s “Red Book” to appointments.
- Flu Vaccinations During the winter months “flu” vaccinations are offered to all patients over 65 and patients with a chronic disease. See practice notice boards and web site for dates of flu clinics or ask a member of the reception team. We also offer pneumococcal vaccinations to those patients who have not been vaccinated in the past. If you have not been vaccinated and fall within the NHS criteria for flu vaccintion please telephone the surgery for an appointment.
- Family Planning We have fully trained Family Planning practice nurses and GPs who can offer advice and provide a coil and implanon fitting service. Please ask a member of the reception team for further information.
Health Care Assistants (HCA) support the Nursing Team by undertaking the following clinical duties:-
- Blood tests
- Blood Pressure Readings
- H-pylori (Breath) tests
- Simple dressings and wound care
New Service for Musculoskeletal Pain!
See a specialist FAST for any bone, joint or muscle pains.
Fast access to specialist assessment and advice for issues such as:
sciatica, back and neck pain
Tennis elbow, shoulder and wrist pain
Knee and hip pain
Sports injuries and sprains
Arthritis and advice
If you require onward referral or medication this will be organised for you following your appointment.